10 Automotive Maintenance Tips Every Driver Should Know
No matter which vehicle you drive, you’ll want to keep up on the recommended maintenance schedule for a longer life on local roadways. While routine maintenance is typically done in a service center, there are a few tips and tricks to do at home to ensure your vehicle is running right.
At Texan GMC Buick, we have a list of 10 automotive maintenance tips you can follow to help you check your vehicle at home. When the time comes for a bigger maintenance check or service, make an appointment with our service team.
What You Need To Know
- Know the Manual: The owner’s manual to your vehicle is the key to helping you check everything properly and be able to keep your vehicle running smoothly for longer.
- Inspect the Vehicle: Review the owner’s manual to learn about the things you should be able to identify. Soon you’ll be able to notice signs of leaks, flat tires, and more that you can have fixed before it becomes more serious.
- Check Your Tires: Invest in a tire pressure gauge. This is a tool that makes monitoring your vehicle’s tire pressure a breeze. Test your tires to ensure they are at the recommended levels and check the tread for signs of wear at home using a penny. When you place the penny with Lincoln’s head facing down, if you can see all of the head, your tires need to be replaced.
- Check the Engine Oil Level: This oil helps reduce friction, overheating, and excessive wear in the engine. Use the owner’s manual to locate the dipstick so you can check the oil levels. Also, keep in mind to check the color of the oil. A darker color indicated a change is needed.
- Check the Engine Coolant: Again, you’ll want to utilize your owner’s manual to determine where the coolant reservoir is located. Then simply make sure the coolant levels are where they need to be.
- Inspect the Engine Air Filter: The engine air filter should be checked regularly to make sure there’s no debris clogging the filter. If it’s clogged or dirty, be sure to replace it
- Use the Right Fuel: Each model has a recommended octane rating. Pay attention to this rating when filling up at the pump. Using a lower level octane fuel can cause a ‘knocking’ sound.
- Inspect Light Bulbs: Being able to see at night and having others be able to see you is important. Routinely check each bulb and replace the ones that aren’t properly working.
- Inspect the Windshield Wipers: There’s nothing worse than driving in bad weather conditions when your windshield wipers aren’t working properly to help you see. Learn how to check if your vehicle’s windshield wipers are working properly as well as how to replace them.
- Keep Track of Maintenance: Whether this means writing down the last time you brought your model in for an oil change or when you last changed the bulbs, it’s important to keep track of when these tasks were completed so you can better manage future routine maintenance checks.
Learn More at Texan GMC Buick
It’s important to keep up with your vehicle’s maintenance schedule. Learn how to perform simple services at home and you can save more. We can also help you save on bigger maintenance tasks with our service and parts specials. Learn more about how we can help when you contact us today!
More From Texan GMC Buick
Houston trucks lovers know the GMC Sierra 1500 lineup balances tough performance with a well-stocked interior, and you can complete the picture with vibrant Sierra 1500 colors that fit your style. The distinct C-shaped headlights and premium cabin options across the trim options are backed by elegant GMC color choices for you to settle…
Before you take home your brand new 2022 Buick Enclave, you might be wondering how much can the Enclave tow! Well the good news is that the Buick Enclave towing capacity reaches a staggering 5,000 pounds, which makes it capable of bringing small boats, dirt bikes, or other vehicles with it no matter where…
If you’re in the market for a new vehicle, that gives you power and efficient in spades, then you might be interested in the 2022 GMC Terrain. The 2022 GMC Terrain offers powerful and efficient performance along with the versatility and value that Houston-area drivers like yourself want in a compact SUV. No matter…